Updated: Sep 2

We travelled the thirty three miles to Witchford for another double header in torrential rain.

The game was delayed due to the opposition manager marking out the pitch and trying to get the game cancelled from the off. We explained we had travelled for close to an hour and more than happy to play the games as the pitch was fine.

We gave a debut to new player Sam as a right wing back and had the other two new lads, Henry and Luke on the bench.

The game started evenly with the opposition doing a long ball over the top for the centre forward or to the right to their number 10. Toby won every tackle against their number 10 and dominated him.

A quick run and dribble by Jed resulted in an early penalty which Olly Young stood up to take and side footed past the goalie.

Half time was a strange affair with the opposition retreating to a storage container for their half time talk. No such hospitality was shown to our boys so we kept the talk brief and kept them warm in what was truly awful conditions.

The second half was equally as good, with the boys communicating and showing more fight and skill than the opposition. Game was halted briefly for the opposition subs to run one hundred metres from their shelter to play the game.

We saw the game out comfortably and took the first three points.

Man of the match was Toby Paul.

As is usual for the double headers we now had a fifteen minute break. We managed to shelter under a marquee for some respite from the rain and wind.

The opposition players had been moaning throughout the previous game as they did not relish the rain.

The ref decided he had had enough after one game so super sub ref Gino stepped up.

The opposition manager was trying to get the game called off for several reasons. None of which were valid. We explained we had travelled a long distance and needed to play for us to finish the season in the required time.

After finally agreeing to play we started brightly and took the lead with good work and a cross from Olly Young on the left leading Jake to tap home for his second goal in two games.

The game was stopped for five minutes as the opposition goalie came off and they made the slowest substitution i have ever witnessed.

We were dominating and should have scored a few more and with a mistake in defence Witchford drew level and we went into half time 1-1.

We changed formation second half and continued playing some nice football and deservedly took the lead with another Isaac cracker from the edge of the box.

A few minutes later we scored another through a long range shot from Alfie that finished in the top corner.

Game over and six points taken.

Man of the match was Deon for his calm and dedicated performance.

The boys deserve a lot of credit as they played a hundred minutes of football in terrible conditions and not one moaned and were up for the fight which was great to see.

Next week we are at home for another double header versus top of the table Sutton.

More than confident that if we play to our abilities then we can cause an upset.

Thanks for Gino and the parents for bringing the boys such a distance and watching in the rain!